12 May 2007

The Red Shoe by Ursula Dubosarsky and other Red Shoes

I thoroughly enjoyed 'The Red Shoe'. The book contains some imaginative historical insight into the times and Ursula Dubosarsky has written 'How I came to write 'The Red Shoe'' explaining this. It was a beautifully written story containing many touching moments. I explained to my students it dealt with dark subjects from the vague experience and sensations of a child, who described things she couldn't understand without judgement and with a innocent perception.

It has been shortlisted for the CBCA Awards in the 'Books for Mature Readers' category. Interestingly the other book I have read also has the same colour in it's title. They were both so great, I don't know how they will choose.

There is something wild about the image of red shoes. The Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale The Red Shoes about the girl who can't stop dancing was one of my favourites. I also love the Kate Bush song and album by the same name.

Picture with permission from Lucinda Surber, check out the blog Red Stuff for more cool photos of red things.

No comments: