30 November 2005

Louis Sachar & school counsellors

I read Holes at school during reading class a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I watched the video last Friday night and it was great. I am going to use this book and film with students as I feel there are a lot of good things to be learnt from it. I found another book There's a Boy in the Girls Bathroom by Sachar. It gave me a whole new appreciation for the counsellor at our school. I don't know how often I have heard or said the comment that the counsellor is not doing enough to help. I read that book and it made me appreciate the kind of long term effort it can take with people for counsellors. It is an important role and to expect instant results would be silly. It is a great book, was an enjoyable and mostly very light story. I also think there is something in that story for everyone. I realised in reflection on my own behaviour how it is easy to become disliked when you are angry and sad. You push others away and this can really happen very quickly that you end up with few people who want to be around you. It is not some kind of huge personality disorder, that needs to be untangled. It was a great read.

No comments: